Declaration of Cooperation in the Fields of Art and Culture
This is the first time that Thailand has signed a declaration in the field of art and culture, which is a consequence of the campaign for the Bangkok Art and Culture Centre. Mr. Aphirak Kosayothin, the Governor of Bangkok at the moment, received the suggestion from the Campaign and Network for People’s Participation Sub Committee that the declaration will be the first step for both the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (public) and artistic organisations (private) to cooperate in improving our art and culture and also to increase the support for creativity and academic research.
After collecting the results of research on art and culture, and coordinating with the mission, vision, and objectives of the Bangkok Art and Culture Centre, including examining the relevant laws, the “Declaration of Cooperation in the Fields of Art and Culture by Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and Allied Organisations in the Fields of Art and Culture” was signed on the 19 August 2005 at Benjasiri Park.
Bangkok Declaration in the Fields of Art and Culture Between The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) and The Art and Culture Alliance
We recognize the fact that art and culture contributes to the enrichment of both individual and communal life. We are committed to render due support, with active and meaningful popular participation, to further publicize and safeguard the creative endeavours of artists as inalienable rights to civil liberty as enshrined in our 1997 Constitution as well as in the universally recognized UN Declaration of Human Rights.
- We recognize the vital role of artists and art organizations in education and shall support them in developing and disseminating a holistic body of knowledge to children and youth at all levels, both in formal and informal education systems. We shall promote a well balanced learning approach which combines artistic expressions, academic knowledge and moral values, and enhances imaginative and creative skills.
- We are committed to promote appropriate applications of modern technology for the creation and conservation of artistic works, for the benefit of academic research, the sharing of learning experiences in all levels, being local, provincial, city, national, regional and international.
- We are committed to promote the active and meaningful participation of artists and art organizations in the implementation of the policy set forth by the BMA whilst collaboratively creating artistic and cultural initiatives to be carried out in communities and areas under the jurisdiction of the BMA.
- We are committed to promote and strengthen institutions which are actively engaged in artistic and creative activities at all levels. Drawing on the capacity of art to cross linguistic and cultural borders and to contribute to mutual understanding between the peoples, we shall facilitate artistic and cultural exchange programmes on an international scale. Within this context, particular emphasis must be placed on promoting cultural dignity, moral integrity, transparency and cultural diversity as well as on the encouragement of public participation in order to support sustainable development, and earnestly resolving conflicts and confrontation.
- We shall duly promote and render support to the mass media in presenting to society at large artistic and cultural works, as part of our overall endeavours to publicize artistic and cultural expressions, which in themselves reflecting the society.
- We shall act in concerted efforts to promote and create equal opportunity for artistic and creative expression, focusing on those who are disadvantaged and marginalized, for a more just and humane society.
- We shall jointly advocate for a social security programme for professional artists and call upon the concerned agencies and organizations both in public and private sectors to come up with formal, systematic and legally established guarantees in terms of social security, social services and due benefits for those genuinely and professionally engaging in the arts. We are committed to collectively safeguard the rights and benefits earned by those who create artistic and cultural works, as part of the overall scheme to prevent any untoward infringement.
- We shall conscientiously advocate and continuously lobby for the allocation of funds from the concerned agencies, both governmental and non-governmental, in order to enable genuine artistic achievements, bona fide creative endeavours in the arts as well as educational programmes and research projects aiming at the advancement of art and culture.